The Jackse Winery
The Jackse Winery, one of St. Helena's oldest wood-framed winery buildings in Napa Valley has new life. The Napa Valley Vintners, a non-profit organization responsible for protecting and promoting the smaller wineries in this premier winegrowing region restored the building to house its permanent offices. Originally built between 1905 and 1913 by Austrian immigrant and vintner, Stephen Jackse, the winery closed in 1951 and remained abandoned until the 1990s. The Napa Valley Vintners sought to restore the viticultural heritage of the building while making it a open and modern work environment. Improvements to the building included; weatherizing the envelope, adding contemporary touches, workstations, more daylight through roof monitors and large doorways and additional windows. The restoration creates a distinct, yet historic building that remains true to its heritage.